If the educational program is the meat of a program, then recreation is the dessert. Recreation builds a sense of community, belonging, and trust among 4-H club members.
Some tips for leading recreation:
- Choose a variety of games- some physical, some mental, etc.
- Know the rules before you start.
- Have all supplies on needed before you begin.
- Demonstrate the game before playing.
- End the game at the height of the fun- don’t drag it on.
For a step by step guide on leading activities check out: Recreation Leader Activity Planning Sheet
Looking for great games? Check out: Blue Ribbon Games and So You’re the Recreation Leader, North Dakota 4-H Recreation Games and Activities, and 4-H Club Games and Activities.
What’s your favorite recreation activity for 4-H club meetings? Share your ideas in the comment section below!